Explore the Prehistoric Caves in the Seaside Village of Nerja along the Costa del Sol in Andalusia, Spain
After leaving the Canary Islands, our next stop was in the beautiful Costa del Sol (Sunny Coast) city of Malaga in the region of Andalusia in southern Spain.
Amanda had a shopping day, while I chose to visit the nearby city of Nerja 30 miles to the west and explore its famous caves. The views from the Balcony of Europe overlooking the Mediterranean Sea and the Nerja Caves were absolutely stunning.
Quick Facts about Malaga:
– Malaga is the 6th largest city in Spain (567,000 population)
– Southern most large city in Europe
– One of the oldest cities in the world, settled by the Phoenicians in 770BC
– Occupied by Carthage, Romans, Ottomans, and then the Reconquista
– Birthplace of Picasso
– Spectacularly beautiful place!!
But, we did not spend most of our time in Malaga, instead we ventured east about 30 miles to the seaside town of Nerja.